Tecnick's new Ninety

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Tue May 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Quick update on new motor.
Saturday and some evenings this week have been spent getting ready (ish) for RHB.
Removed anti-roll bars, removed rear step, swapped tow hitch for alko one, swapped to disco mud tyres (compromise I know but they were a little cheaper than five Simex).
Nige sorted tow bar electrics (thanks).
This evening was spent fitting a new D44 bumper which didnt fit because of the galv chassis. Landrover tool No. 1 used lots .
Fitted Matthews Matt Lee steering guard which was so bent it didnt fit, lots of landrover tool No. 1 used lots and now it does.
Front scrapiron diff guard fitted, rear one never has coz its sh1t.
Suspension, brakes left standard till time and money permit.
Cheers Nick

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

still not seen any piccies of this new beast.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 pm

I do wood me, how is it you put them picture things on this screeny thing :?

Anyway, just done a bit of a service on the motor, oils, filters etc. Put new pads on rear (fronts seem ok for now)

Firstly there was no air filter in it Doh :!:
Secondly the rear pads were the wrong ones and have dropped through and were sitting on the discs/hubs. How much of a groove can one get away with whilst keeping safe :?:

Closer inspection shows next jobs to be dampers and full bush set.

Cheers Nick

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 am

Grooved discs? For the cost of a set - replace them! I have seen several photos where the rotors have sheered off and the potential effect that this could have at motorway speeds doesn't bear thinking about...

No air filter and all that dust at RHB?? :( :0

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Pictures

Postby Graeme C. » Fri May 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Here's a couple of photos of the pink panther
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Fri May 21, 2010 8:10 pm

A new addition to job list seems to be CV's. Thet started clicking as soon as I removed the steering stop but only on full lock. During the trial they clicked a bit more, now they click loudly even when not on full lock.

Could this be because I removed the stops, should I have just wound them in?

I am hoping the ones from the disco fit, it is a more modern front axle, could this be the case?

Cheers Nick.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 pm

No, they won't fit, Defender CVs are a different design to Rangie/Disco ones.

Removing the stops shouldn't have made any difference, more than likely it was just a case of the first time the CVs have been "used" in a while.

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Sat May 22, 2010 8:14 am

Tecnick wrote:A new addition to job list seems to be CV's. Thet started clicking as soon as I removed the steering stop but only on full lock. During the trial they clicked a bit more, now they click loudly even when not on full lock.

Could this be because I removed the stops, should I have just wound them in?

I am hoping the ones from the disco fit, it is a more modern front axle, could this be the case?

Cheers Nick.

If I were you I would swap axles - use the disco ones if they are ok - makes moving the shell hard though
dave

madcalc
Full Name: david medd

Postby madcalc » Thu May 27, 2010 7:41 pm

'ave you seen the pink-tastic Series 111 in this months LRO? She says you can join her club as long as you wear a skirt! (and her last edition was a pink fluffy steering wheel cover which Nick has already got) :lol:
If I can't fix it, I bodge it!

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 pm

I was hoping nobody had seen that article :oops:

Thanks for that mate. Nick :lol:

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:04 pm

I spent a few hours on the drive yesterday fitting a new core plug into the cylinder head. Glad it was just the plug not the head. The job went fine thanks to tips from Matthew. The bit that took most time was getting the engine back up to temperature, I ended up looking for hills to drive up and half nine at night!

Cheers Nick

P.s Cvs still to do (at the weekend)

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Just taken front diff from disco to put in defender. As part of job I took out the cvs and shafts and put the hubs back together in order to keep motor mobile. Silly question, what is the disc which sits in front of stub axle using the same bolts actually for, to me it seems to have no purpose.

I now need to put diff in defender and new cvs from four plus. They do seem to be the same as the disco ones, I hope Tony has given me the correct ones, we shall soon see.
As the hubs are coming apart it seems a good time to put braided hoses on brake calipers and do the Sykes mod to hose clamp/holder to make life easier in the future. (its just a slot really but dont put it down too much coz it does work well) so the job may go into two evenings

Cheers Nick

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Have spent all week doing the work on the front axle (no sarcy comments from those who would have done it quicker, I dont start till after seven coz of kids, I'm sure other new dads will back me up)
One hub was really bad, I needed stub axles and bearings/seals. The brearing tapers virtually fell through hub so replaced that as well.

Got every thing back together, than had to start on UJ's. Still not quite finished. I'm Knackered and very poor. Hope its a good trial :lol:

See you at Helmsley.

Cheers Nick

tecnick

Postby tecnick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Finished this round of repairs, thank dog.

Next round has to be bushes and dampers. I am hoping to use the procomp from disco to keep cost down but they may be a bit stuck on.

I am assuming that polybushes will be in xs of 100 quid so not looking forward to that bit of the job :shock:

Cheers Nick

Return to “Member's Vehicles”