Club Forum

New loom or not new loom - that's the question

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

New loom or not new loom - that's the question

Postby varleym » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Those of you following the systematic demolition of my project 90 on the 'Members Vehicles' section of the forum will know that I'm just about at the end of the unbolt/undo/unscrew/grind off stage and will soon be getting on with welding and then priming.

Since we removed the engine yesterday (200 TDi), the state of the wiring has become fully apparent. I suspect that over the years, different owners have made tweeks/mods to the wiring of vastly differing quality, probably culminating in the modifications associated with conversion to the TDi.

The result is a 'spaghetti like' mass of single wires, spade connectors, occaisionally wires just bared and twisted together - not very good.

My question therefore is - having just about unplugged everything that the loom actually connects to, would I be better served in the long run replacing the loom altogether and starting afresh? Supplementaries are:

1. Approx cost/source of a new/replacement loom;
2. Does the fitment of the 200 TDi call for mods to the standard loom

I'm fairly OK understanding wiring diagrams so wouldn't be phased by the task.

Anyway - any comments welcome.

Cheers

Mark

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I'd be tempted to try and "rationalise" what you have if the loom is generally in good condition apart from the modifications.

A new 200TDi loom will set you back a decent lump of money if you can find one. I'm guessing that your loom has the old bullet style multi-plugs which means that upgrading to a later loom like a 300TDi one will mean changing or modifying lots of other bits like, for example, all the steering column switches.

Getting a second hand 200TDi loom might be an option off eBay but with a loom of that age you'll always run the risk of inheriting someone else's problems so probably better to start with what you have.

Personally I'd keep an eye on ebay just in case a good one does come up but plan on sorting out what you have and doing a proper job of the necessary modifications, even if it does mean starting from scratch.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:25 pm

I have a relatively unmodified 2.5NAD loom on my old bulkhead if you wish to come and carefully remove it for a few beer tokens .
Matthew

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Loom

Postby varleym » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Cheers Matthew, sounds a capital idea. I'd also want to tap you up for what mods might be needed (if any) to mate it to my TDi. I'll give you a bell and arrange a convenient time, maybe over the weekend?

Cheers

Mark

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I'll be in working on the 90 most of Sat , address n map on website www.mksclassic.co.uk
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”