WHAT SPRINGS FOR A 90 ?? ALSO TYRES

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
dave willard

WHAT SPRINGS FOR A 90 ?? ALSO TYRES

Postby dave willard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:37 pm

i AM GIVING MY 90 A QUICK MAKEOVER
I FITTED THE CURRENT SPRINGS 13 YEARS AGO SO IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHANGE THEM

wHAT ARE THE THE THOUGHTS ON SPRINGS FOR OFF ROAD /TRIALING
I AM NOT TOO BOTHERED ABOUT A LIFT BUT OPEN TO IDEAS

THE SHOCKS WERE CHANGE 4 YEARS AGO STANDARD OIL TYPE

THERE WAS A TOPIC ON THE FORUM A YEAR OR TWO BACK
i SEEM TO REMEMBER THERE WERE SOME STD LR SPRINGS RECOMMENDED

ALSO WHAT ARE THE THOUGHTS ON TYRES FOR HIGH OFF ROAD USE
THINKING OF INSO SPECIAL TRACK
DAVE

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Don't bother as if you insist on using standard oil shocks it'll drive like a wallowing hippo.
Matthew

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Matthews wrote:Don't bother as if you insist on using standard oil shocks it'll drive like a wallowing hippo.
Matthew

I INTEND TO CHANGE THE SHOCKS AS WELL
DAVE

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:09 am

stop shouting!!!! (caps lock :wink: )

I've got red/white rangie police spec rears up front on my 90 and disco tdi h/d rears on the back. Gives a 2" lift, but when mine gets its next makeover they are coming off and i;m going back to standard springs. I just dont see the point in a lift on a 90. Things just wear out to quick and it doesnt really improve anything and compromises the road handling too much. Plus i find it difficult to get all the uptravel on the suspension as they are a bit stiff. Really you should have 1/3 up and 2/3 down ratio (reading too much pirate again, but it makes sense) and i think mine is roughly 50-50 with a 2" lift. I;ve got to really wallop an obstacle to get a corner up to the bumpstop. Not really that balanced...
There's nowt wrong with standard springs, as they give a decent ride all round and still allow full compression up to the bumptstops.
Add some +2" gas shocks - you shouldnt need to alter the shock mounts, as they shouldnt bottom out - and some of matthews special relocation cones and you;ll get a genuine 2" extra travel all round.

Shocks - how much can you pay? I think thats one of the over riding factors with shocks. Cheap ones are ... well cheap. How many procomps have you snapped matthew? (although in their defence mine have lasted 8 years!) But you wont find many people snapping bilsteins or Old man Emu shocks.

Nick
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Postby olzook » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:15 am

Dave

I have new +2" britpart cellular shocks plus +2" yellow springs only done a couple of hundred miles but I am looking at a set of bilsteins plus standard height springs (got lowered mounts) so make me a good offer and you can have em.

Oliver

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 am

nicks90 wrote:stop shouting!!!! (caps lock :wink: )

I've got red/white rangie police spec rears up front on my 90 and disco tdi h/d rears on the back. Gives a 2" lift, but when mine gets its next makeover they are coming off and i;m going back to standard springs. I just dont see the point in a lift on a 90. Things just wear out to quick and it doesnt really improve anything and compromises the road handling too much. Plus i find it difficult to get all the uptravel on the suspension as they are a bit stiff. Really you should have 1/3 up and 2/3 down ratio (reading too much pirate again, but it makes sense) and i think mine is roughly 50-50 with a 2" lift. I;ve got to really wallop an obstacle to get a corner up to the bumpstop. Not really that balanced...
There's nowt wrong with standard springs, as they give a decent ride all round and still allow full compression up to the bumptstops.
Add some +2" gas shocks - you shouldnt need to alter the shock mounts, as they shouldnt bottom out - and some of matthews special relocation cones and you;ll get a genuine 2" extra travel all round.

Shocks - how much can you pay? I think thats one of the over riding factors with shocks. Cheap ones are ... well cheap. How many procomps have you snapped matthew? (although in their defence mine have lasted 8 years!) But you wont find many people snapping bilsteins or Old man Emu shocks.

Nick

HI
THANKS NICK

I am thinking about std springs + 2 procomps but adding a spacer to the top or bottom of the spring poss part of the relocation cones to give 10 - 15mm lift which is a small lift

Dave

DAVE

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Nick , Ive never snapped a Procomp because I wouldn't insult any of my vehicles by fitting them in the first place , I have snapped 2 rear bilstiens this year but as they were both second hand when I bought them , I've owned them since 1998, they have been fitted on 3 vehicles and used for comp safari's, club trials and winch challenges I don't think they've done bad.
I took the red /whites (RRHD rear not police spec) off the front of the 90 as they were slightly too soft (worked superb with the lighter V8 in the 110) and put some 210 lb rated ones on of the same lenght and they seem to be fine but bear in mind the lower your ride height the lighter rate spring you can get away with to gain the same compliance. If Dave wants to try some Red/Whites then I have (if Dave Medd hasn't used them) a pair of nigh on brand new ones and I've also got a set of a few years old ones.
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”