Club Forum

Clutch Change

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Clutch Change

Postby varleym » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Chaps

Just got the new bits to replace the clutch on the 200 TDi whilst it's sat on the garage floor awaiting the new chassis. To help get the alignment right, has anyone got either an old gearbox input shaft of one of the much mentioned 'pre-whittled' broom handles?

If so, any chance you could bring it up to the trial on Sunday?

Thanks

Mark

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Mark , I've got one but you better remind me on Sat morn before I leave work(dinnertimeish) so I can put it in , only proviso is if I get a clutch job in before next clubnight you'll have to bring it straight back.
Matthew

varleym

Postby varleym » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Cheers Matthew. I'll be going into Leeds one day next week anyway so I can drop it back in then. Give me a chance to look at your 'Aladins Cave' of bits !!

varleym

Should I be worried?

Postby varleym » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Right old clutch out, new one in - that bit went fine but......................

Inside the bellhousing is coated with a fairly thick, greasy clag. It's not oily wet and I can't see any seepage from the gearbox oil seal so worryingly any oil must be coming from the rear crankshaft oil seal.

The old clutch was in pretty poor condition - barely any friction material left, springs rattling and the pinion bearing(?) (the brass/bronze one that fits into the flywheel and takes the gearbox shaft) was in about a million pieces so most of the crud is probably from the old clutch - it's the source of the grease/oil that I'm worried about. Any advice?

If it is the rear crank oil seal I can see myself going the whole hog and getting a full recon unit as these problems tend to lead to others if the engine's had a hard life and I'd be better biting the bullet now whilst I'm in full rebuild mode.

Someone tell me not to worry - please :roll:

Cheers

Mark

PS It's a 200Tdi from a disco - no idea of the mileage.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Clean it all out with brake cleaner and don't worry about it as if it's not all wet and oily it's just a mixture of old clutch lining and general crud.
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”