Club Forum

Landrovers dont appreciate love...

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Landrovers dont appreciate love...

Postby nicks90 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:23 pm

no matter how much love and attention (and money) you spend on your landie - they still bloody hate us and have a massive chip on their shoulder about doing anything at all. Must be the commy brummies who built them - the lack of ethics and appreciation has probably rubbed off on them.
:evil:

So pre MOT check dawned today and out i went,
first wheel wobbled and sounded a bit rough when turned - hmm. So break open the spares box and arm myself with a new set of bearings and seals. Oh no. cant be that easy. Inner bearing has welded itself to the stub axle. Its all oily in there so no idea how that happened. bit of (VERY) careful grinding later and the bugger came off,
Sorted one corner. Is my motor giving me a sign of things to come?

next corner. Wobbled a bit. RIGHT! STUPID LANDROVER. get another set of bearings out. Then give my self a hernia trying to undo the calliper bolts. No joy. Get a longer bar and try again. I managed to twist off the 1/4" drive head from the ratchet!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the bolt would snap off first, but there you go. It aint shifting.
Toyed with the idea of getting the gas out and a) putting some heat on the bolts b) burning the fricking thing to the ground. Nope, bolt is too close to the flexi hose and aint got one of them in my spares. No brake fluid either. Feck it. Take the hub nuts off and slide the front bearing out. All looks 'ok-ish' inside so repack it with grease and retighten everything as it should be. It can wait......
i just know that brake calliper will come back to haunt me. This motor is vindictive if nothing else.

rear wheel hub oil seal leaking. fair enough. no probs except one of the drive member bolts sheared. Bit of fannying around and that was all sorted.
Bloody awkward sodding car.

exhaust hanger had rotted off.
no problem, got that sorted except i somehow tore my knuckle open taking my hands out of the area on something completely unrelated. Ungrateful swine.

Rear fog light not working. Do you have any idea how hard it is to trace 15 year old foglight wiring back to the switch in the cab on a defender? Found a break in a wire where it had chaffed.
The idea of getting the gas out as per plan B earlier is sounding more like common sense.....

Wiper arm fell out of hte steering column. Fixed it back in with some aroldite but them managed to glue the edge of my hand accidentally to the edge of the plastic surround. Now that HURTS!

Handbrake needing adjusting. Thats not problem - EXCEPT the mud that manages to fall at a 45 degree angle into my bloody eye around my glasses!!!! How does it do that? You could mount that sh!t on to a sidewinder and save the military millions on guidance systems!

Still to do. steering column UJ at the top has a load of play. Not looking forward to that as its a bit tight down there on a 300tdi. I reckon my hands will be fully flailed of skin by the time thats done.

That car frikkin hates me, and i hate it now. If it DARES fail the mot... :twisted: out comes the gas axe!
5 hours and i ache everywhere. I'm getting too old for this, if it carries on i;m selling the thing and getting a toyota.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am

Security Alert - Look's like Victor Meldrew has hacked Nick's forum account...............

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:00 am

Nick, shut up and buy the Toyota already, you have wanted one for ages. Can I have your side windows before the axe comes out :lol:

Cheers Nick

P.S I had all that to do a few weeks back, I have just bought new bushes so need to do that next :shock:
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Lardrover
Full Name: Wayne Davies

Postby Lardrover » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:44 pm

Im really sorry to hear about all that. I'm not looking after our V8 90 any more, it is living with it's new keeper and keeping the 101 Vampire company, it went for it's MoT last week. Didn't even get an advisory.

Ok, put the starting handle down..... down....

down!....

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 am

As those who were at last weeks trial know - she passed the MOT with just an 'advisory' on the tyres being cracked and perished and top shock bushes at the back. Good girl. 8)

So yesterday i went via the garage and had my new rubber fitted that had been kindly delivered by tyresdirect.
Fedima extreme evo - same tread pattern as i had before, but they have sidebiter wotsits and a much deeper tread than the insa versions. Plus they were only a couple of pound a corner more expensive. No idea if the sidebiters will make any difference to grip, but it sort of looks nice and hopefully the thicker rubber in that area of the sidewall will help protect against cuts... maybe... possibly...ok probably not. I chose em cos they look good compared to plain flat sidewalls. :oops:
235/85/16 are supposed to be 31.6" tall. nope, these buggers are 33.3" tall mounted and on the road at 32psi. :twisted:

nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 pm

How much? (or is Sara watching)

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:50 pm

£80 each :wink:
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Are any of your old ones any good? I have a cut sidewall on one of mine and buying a new one (or anything less than four) would mean an appreciable difference in rolling diameter I think - a part worn one would be great if not too expensive...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 pm

If you're running 235/85 Machos I have a few old ones here you're welcome to choose one from, there should be at least one with some useable tread left :)

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:18 am

sorry roger, they're 265/75 and they're on ebay at the moment
Item number: 110587796794
they're only at £21 so you could end up with a set of 4 for not much money and run the wider tyres at the back with the 235/85 at the front. There isnt a really noticeable difference in rolling diameter between the 2 when they're part worn,so could be a possibility. That would give you a couple of spares of each size for future sidewall cutting replacements...
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

nicks90 wrote:sorry roger, they're 265/75 and they're on ebay at the moment
Item number: 110587796794
they're only at £21 so you could end up with a set of 4 for not much money and run the wider tyres at the back with the 235/85 at the front. There isnt a really noticeable difference in rolling diameter between the 2 when they're part worn,so could be a possibility. That would give you a couple of spares of each size for future sidewall cutting replacements...

Thanks Nick - but I think I will go with Dave's kind offer :)

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 am

cant blame me for trying! 8)
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

Return to “Member's Vehicles”