Club Forum

Bulkhead repair

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Bulkhead repair

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am

So, with one problem solved, it's time to attack the next one. The bulkhead needs repairing on both sides, so I'm planning to take some time out and try to get this done early Nov.

I can order the repair panels OK, but need to patch up the insides at the top too. Any suggestions or advice form those that have been there before?

I also need to repair the top of the pedal box as water seems to be getting in there and there is some obvious rust. Any advice?

At one of the club nights someone (Graham?) mentioned a needle gun for removing the rotten metal. What is a needle gun? How does it work? Will it make the job a lot easier/less messy? Oh, and does someone have one I could borrow :) ?

Thanks.

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:54 pm

I have one you can borrow but be prepared for what it will uncover. Not wishing to be the harbinger of doom but for everything you can see, the chances are there will be at least three times more once you finish cleaning it up. If it has gone on the inside and outside, the chances are it will be shot under the screen and in the air vents as well. I would seriously consider a good second hand one or even a new one if it looks anything more than a couple of minor parches.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Graeme C.
Full Name: Graeme Christie

Postby Graeme C. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Don't we know it Bo! :shock:

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Maybe I'll just buy some body filler for the holes and drill holes in the floor to let the water out :shock:

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Bo wrote:I have one you can borrow but be prepared for what it will uncover.

Thanks Bo, I may well take you up on that.

Bo wrote:Not wishing to be the harbinger of doom but for everything you can see, the chances are there will be at least three times more once you finish cleaning it up. If it has gone on the inside and outside, the chances are it will be shot under the screen and in the air vents as well.

From what I've seen so far, the vent appear to be OK - I've prodded them here and there and nothing gave way - but who knows...
I've had the dash out inside and only the ends seem to have gone, where the screen bolts through.

Bo wrote: I would seriously consider a good second hand one or even a new one if it looks anything more than a couple of minor parches.

That sounds like a serious amount of time and effort to replace - not that fixing the existing one won't be but...

Bo

Postby Bo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 pm

This was Grahams after a dose of the needle scaler. It only looked like a couple of blisters to start with. If you do decide to repair, you can buy full top repairs but be aware they do not have the vent cutouts as they are for the aircon model.
Attachments
DSCF0441.JPG

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm

On the subject of replacing the entire bulkhead - what difference is there between TD5 ones and 200tdi ones? Ebay has several from TD5s but or a couple of earlier ones that need repairing.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:06 pm

It depends on the age of the TD5 but in general they're pretty much a straight swap. There are some differences but nothing that can't be worked around.

TD5 bulkheads are internally waxoyled at the factory so they're normally in pretty good nick. If you do get one I'd strongly recommend filling it with waxoyl/dinitrol yourself before fitting it.

Bo

Postby Bo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 pm

If you do one, hang it upside down, that way the wax gets in to all of the places it wouldn't when the factory do it.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 pm

I've nearly got the bits all ready to go now. Just need to find some paint for afterwards.

Any ideas where to try for some dark blue paint, especially if anyone has any idea what actual colour my 90 is as it is a respray from the original.

Bo

Postby Bo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Take one of the windscreen brackets to an automotive paint factors (you need to take it off to do the repair), they should be able to match it for you.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:19 pm

When it comes to painting it after the repair, I'll need to brush/roller paint it as I haven't got spraying kit.

What's the best way to get a good finish?

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:50 pm

If/when I get some new panels, I am thinking of using military paint, apparently it covers well with a brush or gloss roller. I think it comes in three colours including green

Cheers Nick.
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Return to “Technical Info”