Club Forum

Leaking diesel tank

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Leaking diesel tank

Postby Jabba » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 am

The tank on my 90 is leaking diesel when I fill it over half way. I'm guessing there is a leak from the seam round the middle.

Is it possible to seal leaks like this or is it only really sensible to replace the tank?
If sealing is OK, any recommendations on what to use?

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Forget that. I've been looking at the hassle to get the tank out and use something like POR-15. It's going to be much easier to replace it straight out.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:06 pm

My (petrol) tank had an almost unnoticeable leak - just a little staining around the (blown) seam. The inside of the tank looked perfect through the pump hole, but after I got it out I cut it open for a better look and the metal was paper thin in places, and there was so much corrosion around the mounts that I think one good bump would have had it on the deck. Replacement rather than repair would be my suggestion...

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Going down the replacement route for definite. The hassle in getting the tank out to patch/line it makes it preferable to spend the extra and replace. Not to mention the cost of POP-15 plus the cleaner etc comes to practically the same cost.

So........ How do I get the bolts out that hold it in place? The front one 'might' come undone but the rear two look like there is no chance. Its too small a gap to get the angle grinder in, unless I chop the tank up to do so.

Any suggestions/advice from those who have been there before?

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Dave

When I was stripping my 90 down I found that the bracket had actually rotted away and the tank was just resting between the tubular outrigger and the chassis rail. As I'd already taken the body off access wasn't a problem and I'm putting a new one on anyway.

When you start digging into corroded stuff, main problem is where do you stop - you need to be very disciplined otherwise next thing you know the motor will be in a million pieces all over the garage floor, especially if the wife needs it for Monday morning !! :(

Cheers

Mark

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Just got a secondhand tank off ebay which apparently has no leaks and is in good condition - we'll see how good it actually is.

The outriggers all look OK and seem sound with all the brackets still there.

I can't afford for it to be off the road for any length of time so all repairs have to be under a day or a weekend at most (the exception will be the bulkhead!) I don't have the luxury of a garage I can get it in either, so all work gets done on the drive (under a gazebo if its cr*ppy weather)

Return to “Technical Info”