Club Forum

Any thoughts on this

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Any thoughts on this

Postby tecnick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 am

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-90-Roll-Safety-Bar-/370443835450?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56402c583a

I have a tiny budget so can afford a full cage etc. This may go some way to saving my hair do in a roll and I could add a bar for centre seat belts.

What do you think. Anyone got anything similar. Nick C is this like yours?

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Forget the bends

Postby Zedman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:54 pm

If you are on a budget and no bending gear just cut and weld straight box or tube, my guestimate is 20 to 30 quid on the bare steel, if you want more strength put braces in, it will do the job but probably wont get approval for comps requiring certified cages even if its stronger because it hasnt been tested.
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

madcalc
Full Name: david medd

Postby madcalc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 pm

Watch out for the extra insurance as mine said they would charge a lot more as a roll cage showed I was more likely to take risks :?
( I assume you would declare it! :wink: )
If I can't fix it, I bodge it!

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I've been trying to figure out how it mounts "directly behind the seats" on a truck cab. The main hoop looks from the pics as if the bottom of it sits at the same height as the rear stays. The rear stays are bolted flat to the inner wheel arches in the rear tub and then the shorter two extension pieces are used to bolt to the leading face of the rear cross member.

If the main hoop sits inside the truck cab I can't see what it would mount to at that height above the floor or how the rear stays would get out of the cab. It looks more like it would fit behind the bulkhead ?

That design at the back end is one that P&P use, might be worth a poke around their web site and see if it's one of theirs. If it is they'll probably have some pics of it fitted that might make more sense.

Have you asked him for some pics of it fitted ?

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:26 am

thats not like my one,

mine fits down behind the centre bulkhead with the 'feet' going to bottom of the floor just inside the wheel boxes. Under the floor is 2 large plates with mounting plates on the top that weld to the large crossmember the rear A frame attaches too.
simillar to this one

the one you posted pics of looks a bit like the safari cages.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Not sure the fellow is genuine, I mailed him as he suggested to see if he had more photos but he doesnt as he took it off before he converted to hard top. He also has a hard top for sale which he has nearly finished painting :?

Cant see anything similar on P&P which is a bit of a pants web site, but it is the type of thing I am looking for, simple, but may go some way to stopping your head from hurting too much. I may give them a bell sometime.

Keep your eyes open guys

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Return to “Technical Info”