Club Forum

Fitting oil temperature & oil pressure gauge

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Fitting oil temperature & oil pressure gauge

Postby kingsonlim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:54 pm

I am thinking of fitting some oil temperature gauges to the disco to monitor gearbox, transfer box and engine oil temperature, as well as engine oil pressure gauge.

Has anyone fitted aftermarket oil temperature sender unit to (a) engine (b) gearbox (c) transfer box before?

I saw some sump plugs with fitment for a temperature sender unit. Are these any good (apart from being at a vulnerable position to being ripped away)?

Where else can I fit the temperature sender unit to engine, gearbox & transfer box?

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 pm

take a peek at 'Madman gauges"

http://www.madman.co.za/
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 pm

looks to be very complicated to operate.....rather stick with individual gauges if I do decide to fit them........But fitting gauges are relatively easy, it's the location where i can fit the sender unit I am interested to know of....I wonder if there's existing sender unit fitted that links to the ECU???/

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Why ???????????? :shock:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

kingsonlim

Postby kingsonlim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I have recently discarded the EDC/ECU system in favour of the mechanical fuel injection pump. In doing so, the ECU will have to be disconnected to avoid constant 'check engine' light being lit. However, I am not so sure if the 'standard' oil pressure switch will work, as it may have been connected to the ECU. So, in order for the car to tell me if oil level is low, it may be good to have additional gauges for engine oil pressure & temperature.

It may also be good to add temperature gauge to the gearbox and transfer box while I am at it. The autobox did overheated once when I was at Wales earlier this year. Had to park up the car at roadside for the gearbox to cool down.

Return to “Technical Info”