Club Forum

power steering fun and games

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

power steering fun and games

Postby repton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:56 pm

I've just swapped the 3 bolt power steering box on my 110 for a 4 bolt one. I've got it bolted on and plumbed in, filled up the fluid reservoir, fired it up and kept topping up the reservoir as it bleeds itself.

Now if I move the steering wheel more than a few degrees the thing starts to oscillate quite violently by about 1/4 a turn of the steering wheel. There is a load on the box, albeit only a smallish one as the front end is still on axle stands, but it is connected to the drop arm.

Any ideas? The box I've put on was given to me several years ago by someone who didn't know if it was any good or not so I won't be too upset if it turns out the box is scrap.

If the general consensus is that the box is scrap, does anyone have a known good one they'll sell me?

Ta,
Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:28 pm

How have you connected the pipes to the new box ?

Was chatting to Patrick about some bits and pieces and mentioned it to him, he says the pipes on the 3 bolt vs the 4 bolt are easy to get crossed over and, if that does happen, you get the symptoms you describe. From what he says it sounds like the pressure pipe and the return pipe are the opposite way round on the 4 bolt box.

repton

Postby repton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:28 pm

davew wrote:How have you connected the pipes to the new box ?

High pressure pipe at the back nearest the bulkhead, low pressure return to the tank at the front nearest the radiator.

Paul

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:49 pm

I'll check on mine tomorrow and let you know which way around mine are :-)

davew
Chairman

Postby davew » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:25 am

On mine it looks like they are the other way around.

The slightly larger pipe, nearest the bulkhead is the return.

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:14 pm

davew wrote:On mine it looks like they are the other way around.

The slightly larger pipe, nearest the bulkhead is the return.

That could be it then. Of course knowing Land Rover the two will be different threads so it'll not be as simple as just swapping them over, but I'm off out now to have a look.

Thanks Dave.

Paul

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm

On a steering note, I recently had a 'steering fault', it felt as if the power steering was weak. I also had a binding transmission brake which I have now sorted out. I now find that the steering is back to normal. Would the transmission brake be working similar to the centre diff thus changing the feeling of the steering? or am I just waiting for power steering pump to fail?
Any comments?

Cheers Nick

Geoff Ball, can you ring me please 07759680665, Ta

repton

Postby repton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:15 pm

repton wrote:Of course knowing Land Rover the two will be different threads.

And sure enough they do. Great. Time to go back to Pirtek and see if they have the right bits...

In my defence, it isn't my fault that I got it wrong, honest. When I got the box, not long after I got the 110, the bloke who gave me it also gave me a pump and some pipes and such but I never got it installed because I couldn't get the bottom pulley apart to add the extra pulley for the drive belt. The box came to me with a union in the back (return) hole to suit the high pressure hose it came with and an adapter in the front (feed) hole to connect a normal hose to with a jubilee clip for the return and I had foolishly assumed that the bloke I got it off knew what he was doing which I now realise isn't the case!

Never mind, I'm sure I'll get there in the end...

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Tecnick wrote:On a steering note, I recently had a 'steering fault', it felt as if the power steering was weak. I also had a binding transmission brake which I have now sorted out. I now find that the steering is back to normal. Would the transmission brake be working similar to the centre diff thus changing the feeling of the steering? or am I just waiting for power steering pump to fail?

As you all know - I'm no expert, but IMHO it would seem logical that applying a torque to one side of the centre diff would cause a certain amount of transmission wind-up with consequent heavy steering...
Roger

repton

Postby repton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:11 pm

Well with some unions from Pirtek and some gentle tweaking with the universal tweaking tool (you know, the one that takes 4.5" diameter discs) needed due to the feed and return ports being so close together it all seems to work!

Dave, could you please thank Patrick on my behalf next time you speak to him - It would have taken me ages to work that out I suspect.

Now to start on the rest of the stuff that needs doing on it...

Paul

Return to “Technical Info”