Club Forum

Which oil pressure gauge/voltmeter

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Which oil pressure gauge/voltmeter

Postby varleym » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 am

Just been looking at which oil pressure and voltmeter gauges to fit on the 90. Don't want/need to go OTT so something like VDO seem to be reasonably priced. Anyone got any experience of these, good or bad?

Also, it seems that mechanical (capillary?) oil pressure gauges are more accurate than electronic ones but a bit harder to fit, although again I suspect that the difference is probably quite small and not really worth getting too worked up about. Again - any views?

Finally - other than the normal Google trawl, any good/bad experience of where to get them from?

Cheers

Mark

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Mark, VDO are an OEM to the automotive and heavy plant market so you would assume they are a good quality gauge. I personally would opt for a wired gauge for ease of install and less likelihood of a pipe becoming damaged and emptying the life blood of the engine all over the road.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Not sure

Postby Zedman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Not sure on what brands are good but combining the Jeep and Rover setup I would choose the following

Rev counter
Speedo
Oil pressure
Temp (this one saved my engine several times when the rad blew)
Battery/charge
Fuel
Clock
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 am

Isn't this mass of gauges a bit overkill, all I've got is speedo, fuel, temp and boost and this seems to work ok , yes a revcounter would be nice but it's down to space and the hassle of getting one to work accurately with a diseasal
Matthew

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am

only thing i'd like to change on my standard gauges is to swap the temp gauge with a proper accurate one that actually reads the temp in Celcius, instead of a random sort of white bar with a red bit at the top.
:cry:
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am

The most useful gauges I have are engine temperature and oil pressure, other than those a volt meter and fuel gauge and maybe a rev counter - although rev counter is well down the list really.

I use SPA gauges simply because they are very accurate and each gauge has two displays so in the limited space available on a Defender dash I have one gauge which displays fuel and voltage and another that displays oil pressure and water temp. The third position holds a rev counter. The SPA gauges are good but expensive.
http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/dualgauges/

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm

nicks90 wrote:only thing i'd like to change on my standard gauges is to swap the temp gauge with a proper accurate one that actually reads the temp in Celcius, instead of a random sort of white bar with a red bit at the top.
:cry:

Very easy to do.I have had a digital read out on my engines for last 10years, they measure the temperature of the block essentiel on a 300tdi if you want to fit one let me know I can point you in the right direction

Its also easy to fit an over temperature alarm using an adjustable mech switch used on some central heating boilers I have sold a lot of these you can get the unit from RS components if you want the pt no ask me
dave

dave willard

Re: Which oil pressure gauge/voltmeter

Postby dave willard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:03 am

[quote="varleym"]Just been looking at which oil pressure and voltmeter gauges to fit on the 90. Don't want/need to go OTT so something like VDO seem to be reasonably priced. Anyone got any experience of these, good or bad?

Also, it seems that mechanical (capillary?) oil pressure gauges are more accurate than electronic ones but a bit harder to fit, although again I suspect that the difference is probably quite small and not really worth getting too worked up about. Again - any views?

Finally - other than the normal Google trawl, any good/bad experience of where to get them from?

I have an oil pressure gauge I bought for my disco but never got around to fitting it
Uses an alectric sender which fits onto a T piece fitted on the oil pressure switch, the gauge is connected by a wire,(leaves the oil pressure switch in place) will also fit 200TDI
I also have another gauge which measures the pressure via a pipe into the back which feeds the engine oil

If you want them the electric one is £12 for complete kit inc T piece all wiring, backlight & instructions etc the other is £4 but you will need to make up the pipe

Dave Willard

varleym

Oil Pressure Gauge

Postby varleym » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Dave

I'll have the electric one off you for £12 - thanks very much.

Are you coming to the AGM or Nav Scatter?

Cheers

Mark

dave willard

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Postby dave willard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:02 pm

varleym wrote:Dave

I'll have the electric one off you for £12 - thanks very much.

Are you coming to the AGM or Nav Scatter?

Cheers

Mark

Hi yes coming to the nav scatter

As you are organising the scatter You can have the elecric one for £10 or both for £12 instead of offering you a pint for your effort in organising the event
Dave

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I have a clock in mine which is very useful.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am

To tell you your late :wink:

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Yep, Zoe has her fancy digital thing in the Xtrail set ten mins fast so she always rushes about panicking but still get there on time. Theres some kind of logic in there somewhere I think.

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

varleym

Voltmeter wiring

Postby varleym » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Right, laid my hands on a Durite voltmeter off fleabay. Quick question, when I'm wiring it up, can I use any live connection I happen to find behind the dash or do I need to run a connection directly back to the battery?

Cheers

Mark

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Mark, think you need to feed the voltmeter through the ignition, so that it only provide a reading when the key is turned to ON.

Return to “Technical Info”