Club Forum

No its not broken its just an ongoing resoration project )

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Disco drop arm isn't as cranked because the ball joint and drag link sit below it not above as in the defender, the drag link is also longer so when ordering your HD arms make sure you get the right ones(disco1).
Matthew

Zedman
Full Name: Richard Bentley

Now a fuuny thing happened

Postby Zedman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:04 am

Now a fuuny thing happened, came to take the drop arm off and it wouldnt, no surprise there, cut it off carefully with the angle grinder, and after an hours carefull work it came off with the splines and streering box intact ( 1mm thick cutting disk for the win)

Now here's the funny bit, set off for a test drive up Knaresborough hill towards harrogate and normally when I apply the throttle it accelearates, hits a flat spot and slowly gets past it and keep on pulling, NOT this time, the beast took off like a scolded cat and I mean took off, the kid was even impressed, and uttered a wow.

Is this normal ? has my turbo just started working afer months of rest, even then I wasnt really expecting a 2.5 ton tank to go faster than most cars I have driven ?

PS the back lights gave up the ghost so after hours of been unable to find the break in the circuit I gave up and wired then to the fog light circuit until summer and I can rewire the whole lot )
Jeep wrangler / Defender owner
If its not rattling its more than likely fallen off !

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 am

The intercooler is working super well in these conditions!! :lol:

Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Zedman

Stainless Exhaust

Postby Zedman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

I would appreciate some recomendations for a stainless exhaust system pls.

Its to fit my 300TDi Defender 90, I have been recomended to go for the side exit option, was also wondering would a straight through system be
A. too loud
B. fail an MOT

I like a nice throaty sound but dont want it excessivly loud, looking through the mags there is a lot of variaty on offer any recomendations would be appreciated )

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I just sent Mr Adam's 90 through the MOt last week with no probs and no silencers, just pipe , the turbo kills about 90% of the noise.
My 90 has a silencer of sorts in the middle of the system but it ain't very big and doesn't do much and it isn't noisy.
Matthew

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:52 pm

My Disco sounded like a tractor with no boxes in so I put the small back box in the middle.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm

They all sound like tractors to me :)

olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Postby olzook » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Mine just has a small center silencer and to be honest seems a litttle too loud at times :oops:

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Exhaust

Postby varleym » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Richard

I'm looking at the very same set up for mine, probably with a small silencer box in the middle and the rear of the exhaust exiting through the nearside body just behind the rear wheel. There's a fella lives not far from me who makes custom exhausts for the autograss lads - thought I'd go and see what he could do but if you find a better option first, let me know.

Cheers

Mark

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Easiest (and cheapest !) way to make custom systems is to buy the bits you need from here...

http://jetex.co.uk/

Just decide on a diameter and what bends/silencers you need and buy the appropriate bits. You can then either weld or clamp the bits together as suits you. I normally get the stainless pipe and use a mix of welded and clamped joints as required to be able to get the pipe onto the vehicle.

Zedman

Thanks

Postby Zedman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, and thanks for the link Dave, i see they have a phone number, will call them tomorrow and discuss my requirements / blag some free advise )

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:24 pm

By far the cheapest option is to buy a standard Disco 300tdi exhaust from paddock or similar for £50, cut the back box out, shorten the mid section to the right length for the 90 by cutting the centre box out and weld the back box in there. If you then cut the pipe just after it goes over the axle and turn it 90 degrees you are about in the right place for a side exit.
Takes about an hour and costs about £60 including clamps and new mountings.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 am

davew wrote:They all sound like tractors to me :)

Heh heh heh :D

Considering the side exit exhaust:

I like mine, and I was very pleased with it until I found myself sitting in traffic in Dunkeld last year. Remember in my case the car is on LPG so it's relatively clean - but it don't 'arf pen & ink!

Anyway - Dunkeld: Both the road and pavements are narrow and there are parked cars. So I found myself hard against the kerb with the exhaust pointing at a shop doorway about 4ft away and:
Firstly, a woman with a pram refused to push her child into the exhaust cloud (it was cold and steaming) - for which I can't blame her - the kid's head would have nicely caught the whole blast.
Secondly, the shop assistant ran over, gave me a black look and pointedly shut the door.
Thirdly, as I pulled away, I would imagine (I didn't try to look) that there would have been a big splash of manky-stinky water out of it as there often is when it's cold and condensing.

I felt horribly anti-social and was glad when the traffic allowed me to move again. Not good for the image of 4x4's.

So now it is my intention to try (in the Summer) to work out a way of exiting the exhaust on the right hand side away from pavements. Could be tricky, but worth considering and might be easier to arrange if you are building a complete system rather than trying to modify one like me...

Roger

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:30 am

i have a tdi 90 with no boxes or silencers and dont find it too bad,
chopped the middle silencer out and slide in a new section of pipe and used a disco rear section to make an arch over the back axle and for it to exit out the back under the crossmember (protected by the tow bar frame next to it).
pipe is almost arrow straight except for the curve over the back axle and isnt too loud. I do get one bit of 'loud resonance' at 3500rpm, but other than that its fine and i dont often hit 3.5k rpm so it aint that much of an issue.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Richard....I have an exhaust off my disco. The exhaust covers the middle section with middle box to the rear where the back box has snapped off and is somewhere in the garage, and can be provided. It's not stainless steel, but being free for anyone interested. It is in pretty good condition. Taken out due to the back box snapped off at one of the offroad event. Should last you a few years still. You might have seen it when you were at mine the other day, it was hanging on the ceiling in the garage.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”