300Tdi Air Filter

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

300Tdi Air Filter

Postby varleym » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:52 pm

As there is no 'ideal' location for the 200 Tdi air filter housing on a Defender Tdi conversion, I've come up with the 'mad' (I say mad as I can't find anything on Forums about other people who have done this!) idea of trying to graft the box-like 300 Tdi air filter housing into the front left hand side of the engine where there's lots of space.

I intend to fabricate a simple mounting bracket that will bolt onto the top of the timing cover (the 'unused' bolt holes where the air-con is fitted I believe). The picture below kind of shows where I want to fit it.

The orientation of the inlet/outlet ports on the filter housing however are almost 180 degrees away from where I need them to be and it's not just a simple job of turning the unit round and I don't think it would fit then.

It's a fairly basic paper filter cartridge on the 300Tdi and I was wondering if I could simply pipe it up back to front ie. use the air inlet port as the outlet and vice versa. Does anyone know if this is feasible and is a paper filter such as this one manufactured to only take air in one way?

Answers on a postcard or preferably on the forum :)

Cheers

Mark
Attachments
P1010801.JPG
Photo showing approximate location of filter housing.

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Mark,

As far as I am aware, you may swap the inlet and outlet of the air filter housing without ill effect. However, the standard inlet comes in at he bottom of the filter for a reason. If any leaves etc got sucked in, it will drop back down to the bottom of the housing when the suction reduces. If the inlet is now on the top side, the leave etc will remain there and restrict air flow.

However, this can be avoided by 1) more regular check on air filter 2) place a net with gaps of not more than 10mm at the inlet (eg. snorkel cover).

Another possible issue will be water. If water gets into the housing, with the outlet into the engine being higher, there'll be less chances of water ingress. However, this issue will no longer be valid if the water is over the bonnet....that'll cover the whole air filter housing anyway. So, if a snorkel is also fitted, this is not an issue at all.

Apart from that, dont see why it shouldn't work.

Kingy

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:38 am

/\ /\ wot he said /\ /\

Additional though is that if a small amount of muddy water (say a couple of cupfuls) gets in, then with it the right way round there is a good chance of your filter staying dry while it exits through the little drain - the same situation with a top entry will leave you with a sodden filter and possibly a covering layer of slimey-wimey stuff blocking it...

As I have often said - bottom entry is best :D

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Mark, I have bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/landrover-defender-air-box-air-filters-brandnew-/180610069859?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0d32f563 for mine, they are the same as the military use on the 300Tdi wolf. The one I got has the twin filters for desert use. You can just see how they mount on the right hand side of the engine on this rather sorry looking wolf. :( Picture 9 http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16254-My-Land-Rover-Wolf-XD-110/page3.
The beauty of this is a standard wolf snorkel kit will fit.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

AIr Filter

Postby varleym » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Bo

Do the mounting brackets come with it?

Cheers

Mark

Bo

Postby Bo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 pm

I didn't get any with mine as I bought it from Billing last year and was going to knock up a couple of mounts by bending some thin strip around the housing and forming the ends out to make a bolt clamp.

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:10 pm

This looks like it is the right sort of clamp for the wolf filter.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Donaldson-Air-Fil ... 1e61281644

Bo

Postby Bo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Well spotted, he's got one less for sale now, that saved me another job. :D

mike
Full Name: Mike Burgess

Postby mike » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Mark

I don't know if it's any use or help, but I've just take the air box and pipes out of my Td5, so they're just cluttering up the garage now....

Through cab snorkel made them redundant, in case anyone was thinking I'd done sometlhing really daft.

Cheers

Mike

varleym

Air box

Postby varleym » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Mike

Hmmm, hadn't really thought about using a TD5 unit. Whereabouts does it normally fit?

Anyone had any experience of trying to mate a TD5 air filter onto a 200 TDi lump?

Cheers

Mark

mike

Postby mike » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Mark

From the offside wing inlet the pipes go pretty much straight across into the air box mounted on the bulkhead and then the outlet comes forward on the near side of the engine.

The air box is mounted with it's longest side against the bulkhead and the inlet is on the left hand side as you look at it from the front of the car in the middle at the bottom and the outlet is on the right hand side on the front top corner.

The platic box is attached to the metal bracket that mounts to three bolts on the bulkhead.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

I'm googling for a picture, but can't find one yet, and my scanner isn't a flatbed one so won't scan the book - sorry.

Cheers

Mike

varleym

Postby varleym » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Hmmm, I don't think it's gonna fit easily. I've got teh brake & clutch cylinders in the way and there's not much space on the bulkhead anyway. I'll try and look for a picture as well.

Cheers

Mark

mike

Postby mike » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Here, possibly, is a photo of a Td5 engine bay....

No worries if it's no use, let me know what you want for the battery.

Cheers

Mike

Return to “Technical Info”