Club Forum

Another 90 joins the pack ...............

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Bits

Postby varleym » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Oliver

Spoke to your man and unfortunately he's got rid of it already but thanks for the tip.

So still looking for someone breaking an old defender.............

Cheers

Mark

Ps - he sounded a lot like you, I guess you're all sort of related anyway that side of the hill aren't you :shock:

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Mark, Range Rover vent pipes are a good bit smaller than 48mm.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

olzook
Full Name: oliver heselton

Re: Bits

Postby olzook » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 pm

varleym wrote:
Ps - he sounded a lot like you, I guess you're all sort of related anyway that side of the hill aren't you :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

varleym

Bits & Bats

Postby varleym » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Managed to get sorted with all the bits & bats from a bloke in Ripon (Ripon Offroad he calls himself) who was breaking a fire damaged 300Tdi. Also got a full set of TD5 lights, seats & wings for not a lot of money. He's got quite a collection of spares so if anyone needs an obscure part he may well have it. riponoffroad.co.uk.

As a slight aside, I'm re-fitting the refurbished rear door and although I'm going to connect up the heated rear window I was thinking of not refitting the rear windscreen washer & wiper as I won't be using the vehicle for day to day travel, just competitions and I think it needs a new wiper motor anyway. Anyone got any views as to the usefulness or not of the rear washer/wiper?

Cheers

Mark

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Bits & Bats

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm

varleym wrote:Anyone got any views as to the usefulness or not of the rear washer/wiper?

IMHO a heated rear screen is essential, but a wash/wipe is 'pretty important' Even if you only use it to and from events it would still be nice to see through the back on a manky salty motorway... My tuppence worth :)

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Put it on, mine is broken and is a PITA.

Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

varleym

Glow plug timer

Postby varleym » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:49 pm

One of the bits that the previous owner 'bodged' with the Tdi conversion was the glow plug timer. I've managed to source a replacement from a Disco but before I fit it I just wanted to canvas thoughts on whether it's required or not.

Searching a few forums the consensus seems to be that unless you live in a very cold place and the vehicle sleeps outside overnight then the chances of needing to use the glow plugs is very slim. I really want to keep the wiring as simple as it can be so if there's no need to fit the glow plug timer assembly then I won't.

Cheers

Mark

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Mine had 3 out of 4 glow plugs knackered when I bought it in Feb last year. It was a right pain to start. In the summer it will start without the plugs, but for ease of starting all year round, I'd fit them.

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Mark, for the sake of six wires, I would throw one in.
Wiring section here may be of some help.
http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/200%20Tdi%20Conversion.html
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

Postby varleym » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps - glow plugs it is then !

varleym

Glow Plugs

Postby varleym » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 am

Dave

Just out of interest, how did you know some of the glow plugs were knackered and how do you test them?

Cheers

Mark

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 am

I took them out and inspected them, then as they all looked OK, I checked with a resistance meter and found that 2 were open circuit while one was behaving odd (sometimes low resistance other times higher and it could vary while testing).
So I just replaced all 4 and kept the good one as a spare.

You can also test them by clamping in a vice and then applying 12 volts across each one in turn. The Haynes says they should glow red hot after about 5 seconds. They draw a lot of current though.

varleym

Paint Test

Postby varleym » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Quick update...... Battery & master switch all wired up, just waiting for the other half of the glow plus harness to arrive so that I can finish off the engine bay wiring. Raptor dash now fitted and in the process of fitting various switches and power outlets. Looking (hopefully) get her fired up on Sunday while you lot are out ravaging the countryside.

Also decided to go for Bo's suggestion of Claas Tractor Green enamel applied with a roller. I rolled a coat of primer on first, flattened it off then put the colour on. I was quite impressed with the finish, it's a bit orange-peely when you get close up but as it's no doubt going to need touching up on regular occaisions I think it's fine.

As for the colour well a bit like marmite I suppose - either you love it or hate it. I really like it (although strangely I don't like marmite!).

See you Sunday at the Scatter (we only live about half a mile away from the finish so if anyone wants a closer look at progress after the event, no probs).

Cheers

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jabba

Postby Jabba » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:20 am

I'll get my sunglasses !
8)

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:57 pm

I like marmite :lol:

Cheers Nick

ps i like the paint as well
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”