Club Forum

V8 to Tdi conversion

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
repton
Full Name: Paul Everett

V8 to Tdi conversion

Postby repton » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:04 pm

As mentioned on another thread I'm seriously considering swapping the V8 in my 110 for a Tdi. As much as I love the V8 with the cost of LPG rising much faster than the cost of diesel and the lack of range and places to fill up, combined with the fact that both the engine and the LPG kit are getting a bit tired I am starting to consider a swap.

I'm after a bit of advice as to the easiest and cheapest way to do this. I'm not after anything fancy, just something that works within reason as cheaply as possible as funds are very limited at the moment.

Am I right in thinking that the gearbox input shaft is different between a V8 and a Tdi? If so presumably the gearbox will need changing too. If that is right then is the easiest path going to be to get a rotten old Disco and just swap the whole engine/box/xferbox assembly out of it into the 110? Which, if any, of the engine and gearbox mounts on the chassis would need altering?

TIA,
Paul

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Paul , easiest route is 300tdi disco, gearbox mounts are on crossmember which bolts into your chassis, engine mounts will need cutting off disco chassis and welding onto your chassis.
Matthew

dave willard

Postby dave willard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Matthews wrote:Paul , easiest route is 300tdi disco, gearbox mounts are on crossmember which bolts into your chassis, engine mounts will need cutting off disco chassis and welding onto your chassis.
Matthew

Hi
I may be wrong but when looking at a disco gearbox compared to the 90 one the bell housing is a fair bit longer, will the gear lever be too far back
Looking into this for myself

Alternative much better would be use an auto box may be worth looking at

But for extremley cheap but very low on power is a 2.5 na they are very very cheap & often come with a gearbox but unless from a 110 you would be better with your transfer box They are unltra reliable I think there was one on this forum not too long ago
You could use your gearbox changing the input shaft & bell housing, get from an old gearbox I think this is easy to do you cuold then fit a 300 or 2.5 na

dave

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 pm

300's moved the engine further forward than the 200's thus standardising on gearboxes and front propshafts across the range hence my reason for suggesting a 300 rather than a 200 (which is different between Def and Disco's in lots of annoying ways)
Matthew

repton

Postby repton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Matthews wrote:Paul , easiest route is 300tdi disco, gearbox mounts are on crossmember which bolts into your chassis

Thanks for the reply Matthew. If the gearbox mounts are on the crossmember does that mean it would be just as easy (other than mounting and plumbing the oil cooler) to stick an auto in it? I'm getting lazy in my old age and fancy an auto...

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Find a 300 tdi disco auto then (not the latest drive by wire ones though) and the jobs a good en .
Matthew

kingsonlim
Full Name: Kingson Lim

Postby kingsonlim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am

Paul,

If you do find a set of the later fly by wire type 300tdi auto in good condition low mileage, it's not a bad idea to get them and then swap the electronic injection pump to a mechanical pump.

The cost for the mechanical injectors + mechanical injection pump will be within 100 quid, but the electronic injectors are worth over 150 quid, and another 100 - 150 quid for the electronic injection pump. Another 25 - 40 for the air flow meter. The 4th injector with the sensor is nowhere to be found in the whole UK, everyone is out of stock (dont know why and how).

I did a write out on the work involved in swapping the injection pump:

http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/for ... php?t=1130

Kingson

repton

Postby repton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Matthews wrote:Find a 300 tdi disco auto then (not the latest drive by wire ones though) and the jobs a good en.

Aye, I'll probably do that. Don't think there's any danger of my budget being enough to get one of the later ones anyway. You seem to be able to pick earlyish ones up for anywhere from about 500quid upwards on Phil's favourite shopping site...

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

davew
Chairman
Full Name: Dave White

Postby davew » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Just spotted this on another forum...

hi all, just breaking a nice 200tdi auto disco, engine purrrrrrs like a kitten and autobox works great aswell.
also there are all the other parts aswell, nearly all panels and doors are straight and good nick and the interior is clean also.
the truck was never used off road and its the body that has let it down.
would make great auto conversion for a challenge truck or to beef up your tired series :D.
pm me or call/txt 07833493572
cheers gavin

He's near York, might be worth a call as he's talking about taking it to the scrappers if nobody wants it.

repton

Postby repton » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for that Dave. If it's a 200 rather than a 300 will that mean the gearbox mounts aren't on the crossmember and so would need cutting off the disco and welding onto my chassis?

Paul

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Paul as its an auto you can just get a 300TD1 gearbox crossmember (200 auto might be the same but I know the manuals different) and gearbox mounts, if the engine n box are ok and the price is right I'd go for it .
Matthew

repton

Postby repton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Just rung him, he's wanting to break it rather than sell it complete but that's fine by me as long as I get all the bits I need. Might go and have a look over the weekend although the plans for the weekend are a bit hazy as Daisy (our black lab) is currently in labour so it's hard to be certain what the next couple of days will bring...

Paul

repton

Postby repton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Just having a think about this (sat in the delightful surrounds of a layby on the A180 near Immingham...) and I'm wondering if I'm not better getting a complete disco rather than just buying an engine/box by themselves?

My theory is that you can get complete 200tdi discos for little over 500quid and then at least you can keep going back to get all the little bits you forgot while you're swapping the engine over and as a bonus you get to sell the left overs to offset some of the cost. I didn't ask about price but I can't see him selling me the complete engine/box/lt230 with all the bits including radiator/intercooler, gearbox oil cooler, wiring, pipework, etc etc. for much less than 500quid anyway and there's bound to be something I forget to take off it.

Paul

nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Postby nicks90 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:59 am

would be a good idea to have the whole vehicle,
that way little things like glowplug wiring and fuel return lines, filter housing etc are all there for the taking.
dont suppose the disco fuel tank will fit (with suitable mods) under the back of a 110? As that would be ideal too.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

Matthews
Treasurer

Postby Matthews » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Paul make the guy an offer and see if he bites (bird in the hand an all that) and as you say (and Nick said) it's much easier if you've got a pile of bits you can keep raiding cause you'll forget something, if your stuck for a tank I've got one in the old 110 chassis thats yours for £20 if you want it .
Matthew

Return to “Technical Info”