Defender Auto-Box Swap

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Defender Auto-Box Swap

Postby varleym » Fri May 27, 2011 5:09 pm

All

I'm looking at moving to an auto box for Kermit. Couple of questions:

1. If I get an auto box from a defender (as opposed to a disco), is it a straight swap and can I still use the original transfer box?

2. Do I need to do any modifications to the bulkhead/tunnel to accomodate the auto set up?

If there are any other useful tips/advice you may have on the topic please feel free to comment.

Cheers

Mark

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Mark, Defender TDi auto's are that rare, I doubt you will find a box but to all intent and purpose the Disco/Rangerover boxes are the same anyway.
Due to the number of components you need it would in my opinion be cheaper to start off with a full scrap Disco Auto and sell the bits off you don't need. I am assuming your motor is fitted with the short bell-housing so to start with you will have to cut off and move forward the engine mounts on you nice shiny galv chassis. To fit the auto box to the engine you will need a flex plate and spigot boss in place of the standard flywheel and you will need the kick-down cable and linkage for the fuel pump. Use a medium sized V8 torque converter instead of the TDi one as it has a lower lock up speed. Don't use the large one as it wont fit in the bell-housing. The Auto box fits without to much drama dependent upon which seat box / transmission tunnel you have. If its an early one, you may need to massage it with special tool number 1 if its an R380 setup you should be okay. If you convert your seat box to R380 spec you will also need a new handbrake. The Disco and Range Rover Auto shifter is a pig to fit as the cable comes out of the wrong end so use a Jag shifter and cable with a bit of grinding of the gate to allow you to get all gears. You will need to fit a transmission cooler, again the disco one fits in front of the standard radiator.
The easiest part is unbolting the clutch pedal however I have welded a Range rover foot pad on to the brake pedal in the past to give you the large pedal so you can easily left foot brake. It is not a weekend job but it is definitely doable using all of the donor parts from a Disco.
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

Postby varleym » Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Bo

Just watching a Defender 200Tdi & auto box on t'Ebay at the minute:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Would this be a straight swap?

Cheers

Mark

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Fri May 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I would think that is a Disco 200tdi engine and box as to my knowledge Landrover never built a 200Tdi Auto Defender , just very limited numbers of 300's. Chances are you will still have to move your engine mounts forward.

Have a look here for someone who took pictures whilst doing it.
http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/86667-defender-90-automatic?highlight=defender%20automatic
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

varleym

Postby varleym » Fri May 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for the info Bo - comprehensive as ever :D :D :D

tecnick
Full Name: Nick Adams

Postby tecnick » Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 am

Mark, have you hurt your left arm? hope it gets better soon.
:D
Cheers Nick
If it ain't broke, I'd be bloody suprised.

varleym

Postby varleym » Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 am

No, just my wrist :lol: :lol:

Return to “Technical Info”