Club Forum

Repainting the motor

Create a topic for your vehicle here and let everyone know what you are doing/have done to/with it !
nicks90
Full Name: Nick Clayton

Repainting the motor

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:02 pm

The time has come for my 90 to finally get a bit of TLC to the bodywork. Its only 9 years overdue
:shock:

so for my birthday i got some fancy coach enamel in traditional bronze green, brushes and foam rollers and some replacement front wings (thanks Mark)

quick rub down with the sander to provide a good key and a whizz over with some etch primer on any areas of exposed metal and we are good to go!

Instructions say thats all thats required for prep and to make 3 coats to get a good finish. Fairly thick coat with 5-10% white spirit mixed in to allow it to flow well, leave it 24 hours and flat it back with some wet and dry, second coat with 10-15% white spirit and leave for 24 hours and then final coat with 25% white spirit to give it a nice glossy flat top coat.
done both the new wings and the bonnet and one side of he motor and i am astonished at the finish after just ONE coat! I havent even flatted it down and done the other 2 coats yet.

heres how it started and a piccy of the 1st coat on one side and first coat on the bonnet. Not got any of the wings yet - although they have had their second coat and look well bling!
Rock sliders and bumper ad rear cross member will be getting a fresh coat of satin black, front light surrounds and grill willbe getting a spray of satin black and i am still undecided on the colour of the roof... maybe white.
more piccies to come as it progresses 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bugger!
Another bloody dent...

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:07 pm

You'll be polishing it next ! :lol:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Just watch me complain about non damaging events n
ext time i brush a tree branch 8)
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

bandiflip
Full Name: phil johnson

Postby bandiflip » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Hmmm...If there's enough left you could do the Datsun too !! :twisted:
do you know the meaning of Nemesis ???

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Bit more done today. Just got to do all door jams, second coat on right hand side and do something with the roof. Oh and fit thr shiny wings and do some black about the place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm

I think you should leave the roof as it is, it looks like a rhododendron bush which would be excellent camouflage should you ever go to Temple Newsham gardens. :lol:
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Phil stop insulting Datsuns by calling them Nissan's, Datsun's are the sort of things that languish in my place (yes I have a 140J in for you people old enough to remember)
Matthew

Bo

Postby Bo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am

140J's are old men's cars, I had a s**t brown 120y that used to axle tramp every time it rained and white 120a coupe that used to rev to the moon and weighed about the same as a Raleigh Grifter.
Last edited by Bo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Got a bit more done today. Essentially the body is now done, as are rock sliders and rear wheel spats. Not terribly happy with the roof as it was too sunny and hot and the paint dried too quickly. Might sand it and do another coat...
Just got to fit the wings and spray the front plastics and repaint the wheels and i'll be pretty much there. Struggling to find the side 'defenderand county' decals though.
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

Phil&Lucy
Full Name: Phil & Lucy Acomb

Painting your motor

Postby Phil&Lucy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Very disappionted thought you might have kept the roof "Pink"! Need more pink motors in the club.

My first car was a Datsun 120y Coupe with 13" wheels.

Suzuki Vitara with pink bits.

Matthews
Treasurer
Full Name: Matthew Sykes

Postby Matthews » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

This 140J's gonna be a young man's car, seam welded shell, full multipoint cage, well tweaked 1.8 engine, sorted front suspension, 5 link rear suspension + anything else deemed necessary before it goes to South Africa for a little rally.

Bo

Postby Bo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:32 am

Matthews wrote:This 140J's gonna be a young man's car, seam welded shell, full multipoint cage, well tweaked 1.8 engine, sorted front suspension, 5 link rear suspension + anything else deemed necessary before it goes to South Africa for a little rally.

We'll let him off then.

nicks90

Postby nicks90 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 am

and its finished!!!

well sort of. Still got the wheels to paint and a few touch ups here and there and sort the snorkel out, but essentially its done!
I'm extremely impressed at the quality of the paint and the finish considering its been done with a brush and rollers and all done on the side of the road in the sunshine. Look close and its a bit orange peely, but from 6 feet away its great!
Bugger!

Another bloody dent...

varleym
Full Name: Mark Varley

Postby varleym » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Looks good mate.

Jabba
Full Name: Dave Ladell

Postby Jabba » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Do you want to come and do mine! Looks very tidy.

Return to “Member's Vehicles”