Club Forum

Should I fit rear seats

Need to know what's broken and maybe how to fix it ? Post here
Adrian Dawes
Full Name: Adrian Dawes

Should I fit rear seats

Postby Adrian Dawes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello folks,
I would appreciate your thoughts and advice on the following.

I have a series 2A (well, body and chassis). I am thinking of putting in fold up rear seats so that my children can come with me when I/we go green laning/driving to trials weekends etc, then fold the seats away when not required (although I am aware that once folded down I would be left with minimal stroage space)

Option 1) Go for the Exmoor Trim fold up seats with 3 point seat belts for safety (most expensive option).

Option 2) Fit a bench seat (seen some good condition ones on e-bay, again would want to fit 3 point seat belts for safety).
But would sitting on a side bench make you feel travel sick on green lanes/roads etc as I do not have any side windows! Even thought about fitting side windows, but would this make the sickness motion worse? However this would mean that I could take the family AND have some storage space!

Option 3 ) Your thoughts or ideas.

Thank you
Adrian
You never stop learning!

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Adrian, I personally would not put my kids in sideways facing seats as the effectiveness of the seat-belt is greatly reduced in the event of an accident.
If it were me I would go for the exmoor kit.
Regards
Bo
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

pamw
Official
Full Name: Pam White

Postby pamw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello Adrian,

There are a few things to consider, depending on the age of your children.

If under 3 they cannot travel in a vehicle which does not have rear seat belts
Using 'child seats' in side facing seats is now illegal is not an alternative option.

For more details and a better explanation than I can give read this -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/You ... /DG_195279

Note also that 3 point inertia seat belts (like you have in the front) are not suitable for side facing seats. If you put seat belts in at all they are better being lap belts.

I have 2 side facing seats (grey vinyl Exmoor Trim ones) that I don't use anymore, if you decide to go that way. Good condition, no belts with them, but should be OK to add. Not sure what I'd want for them but a lot less than 'new' price from Exmoor anyway!
Archaeology - my career in ruins !

Adrian Dawes

Should I fit rear seat belts?

Postby Adrian Dawes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Pam & Bo
Thank you for the swift reply and advice.

Both of my children are still of an age where they require a full child/ booster seats. So upon advice and reading the PDF in relation to child seats, and safety, it looks like it will be forward facing rear seats.

Does any body know where I can buy them from apart from Exmoor Trim? So I can get a comparison.

Cheers
Adrian
You never stop learning!

TwoSheds
Full Name: Roger Watkinson

Re: Should I fit rear seat belts?

Postby TwoSheds » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

On the motion sickness question - I am a sufferer and have always found that seeing out helps. Also I have found that a jerky rough ride is far less likely to make me sick than a smooth swaying one.
One thing guaranteed to make me feel sick within seconds is reading, so probably best not to give them a book or games console if you think they are prone...
Rog

Bo
Full Name: Scot Chegg

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm

To be honest, having looked at the exmoor trim seats I don't think two forward facing seats are an option for child seats. With them in place you would not be able to strap your kids in or more importantly get them out in a hurry.
Why not fit the two child seats in the front, one in the centre seat and the other on the passenger seat?
5/4 of people admit that they’re bad with fractions.

Adrian Dawes

Postby Adrian Dawes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Bo
The central seat has ben removed and I have my battery in a box (Landy has a 200TDi fiited and battery will not under bonnet).

I think I will give Exmoor Trim a ring and see if they can also give suggestions.

Cheers to all, apprecite your input.
Adrian
You never stop learning!

Return to “Technical Info”